To hear some audio clips from this book click on the players below:
The Writers: The selections on this CD are taken from:
- The Florist’s Manual by Maria Jacson (Published 1816)
- Every Lady Her Own Flower Gardener by Louisa Johnson (Published 1839)
- Practical Instructions in Gardening for Ladies by Mrs. Jane Loudon (Published 1840)
- Days and Hours in a Garden by Mrs. Eleanor Vere Boyle (Published 1884)
- Pot-Pourri from a Surrey Garden by Mrs. C.W. Earle (Published 1897)
- Selections from the writings of Gertrude Jekyll (Published 1899-1918)
Marilyn Cutts graduated from Manchester University with a degree in English and a post-graduate Diploma in Drama. After starting at the Derby Playhouse she had her first taste of a commercial musical with a tour of Godspell. In 1983 she co-founded the group Fascinating Aida with Dillie Keane, leaving to pursue a solo career after the group was nominated for an Olivier award for their 20-year reunion tour One Last Flutter. Since then she has appeared in Rosamund Pilcher’s play The Shell Seekers, toured Japan as Mme de Rosemonde in the dance drama Les Liaisons Dangereuses and was in The Rose Tattoo by Tennessee Williams at the National Theatre. Her voice-over work varies from television documentaries to education tapes for IT students.
Dee Palmer is a journalist and writer with a special interest in gardening. When she started the research for this audio book she expected to find many differences between the experiences of 19th century gardeners and those of today. Instead she was more struck by how modern much of their advice is, and her personal selection from the writings of these six women reflects that.
Richard Bissill composed the music which he plays on the piano accompanied by Susan Thomas on the flute.